Followers

Saturday, May 12, 2018

Summer Reading Challenge


Can you believe that school will soon be out? Where does time go?


Have you heard of the term “summer slide”? No? Let me explain. Summer Slide is a term used to describe when kids are out of school for the summer break and lose some of their academic gains they made over the school year.  This can be caused by multiple factors, however, it tends to be in areas children struggled the most - particularly math and reading.

How can you help prevent the summer slide?

1. Visit the library.
2. Have your child read at least 20 minutes daily.
3. Read to your child.
4. Read with your child, exploring different types of reading, like  poetry.
5. Read for different purposes.

6. Play word games.

Here is a fun Summer Reading Challenge that will help encourage reading.  As a child, I loved to take my books and toys OUTSIDE.  The big Cherry tree in our back yard or the crabapple tree in the front was two of my favorite hangout places, until we discovered the tree in the back field which had branches that draped around it's trunk, creating a "fort" for my sisters, neighborhood kids, and myself.


Summer Reading Challenge Checklist

² Read in bed  
๐Ÿ–² Read on the beach
² Read in a tent
² Read by flashlight
² Read in the car or on the boat
² Read under a tree๐ŸŒด
² Read outside
² Read a scary story
² Read about a hobby or sport
² Read with a friend
² Read to a Mom, Dad, or Grandparent
๐Ÿฅ˜² Read a book about food
² Read a newspaper
² Read a magazine
² Read a true story (non-fiction)
² Read a book about Science
² Read to a pet๐Ÿถ
² Read a book about outer space
² Read a book about a different country
² Read a book about animals
² Read by a pool
๐ŸŒ™² Read at night
² Read in the afternoon
² Read under an umbrella
² Read a book about History
² Read a mystery
² Read a fantasy
² Read in the morning๐ŸŒ„
² Read a childhood favorite
² Read a Classic Fairy Tale
² Read a graphic novel
² Read at the library
๐Ÿคฃ² Read a book full of jokes
² Read a book about poetry





Will you encourage your child to take the Summer Reading Challenge? Studies show that the more a child practices his/her reading during the summer months, the more they will retain.  Don't let you child fall victim to the Summer Slide.

Need help choosing appropriate books for their reading levels? Message me, I'd love to help.






Note that I am an Usborne Books & More Consultant and that the above article may contain links which direct you to my shopping site where you can purchase the books which I may have highlighted in this article. All purchases made through these links to my shopping site will in return will earn me a commission at no additional expense to you.

2 comments:

  1. I have no children, but heck.. I'll take the reading challenge! I need to read more, but rarely have time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you there! I need to take the challenge too and do more reading myself. Thank you for commenting

      Delete